- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- We Suggest:
12 dried chilies, rehydrated in boiling water
1 small onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, sliced
1 1/2 tbsp fresh galangal, finely chopped
1 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
2 tbsp oil
1 kg chuck steak, or other slow cooking beef, cut into cubes
1 tbsp oil
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp clove powder
3 star anise
1/2 tsp cardamon powder
1 lemongrass stick, bottom half of the stick only and smashed
1 can coconut milk
2 tsp tamarind puree / paste
4 large kaffir lime leaves, very finely sliced
1/3 cup finely shredded coconut
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
Directions for Beef Rendang
- Place Spice Paste ingredients in a small food processor and process until fine.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large Corningware casserole over high heat. Add half the beef and brown, then remove onto plate. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Lower heat to medium low. Add Spice Paste and cook for 2 - 3 minutes until the spice paste darkens.
- Add remaining rendang ingredients and beef. Stir to combine.
- Put the lid on the pot and leave it to simmer for 1 hr 15 minutes.
- Turn up heat to medium and reduce sauce for 30 - 40 minutes, stirring every now and then at first, then frequently towards the end until the beef browns and the sauce reduces to a paste that coats the beef.
- The beef should now be very tender, fall apart at a touch. If not, add a splash of water and keep cooking. Remove from heat and serve.