Winter Melon Soup
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- We Suggest:
1 tablespoon extra light olive oil
5 fresh shiitake mushrooms
2 cloves garlic
3 cups wintermelon, chopped
A couple sprinkles Himalayan/sea salt
3 cups water
1 tablespoon white cooking wine
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan/sea salt
1/3 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon sesame oil
A pinch of goji berries (optional)
Directions for Winter Melon Soup
- Remove the stem from the shiitake mushrooms and slice it across into 4-5 pieces. Peel the garlic, then finely dice it. Add the shiitake mushrooms and garlic into a medium saucepan and add a tablespoon of extra light olive oil.
- Wash and soak goji berries in water for 20mins (optional)
- Slice 2cm off the top of the wintermelon. Using an ice cream scoop or a large spoon, remove the flesh of the winter melon and cut into smaller pieces. The winter melon peel will be used a bowl for the soup.
- Slice the scallion into tiny rings and set it aside for now.
- Turn the heat on medium high. Let the shiitake mushroom and garlic cook for 2-3 minutes, until you hear a little sizzle. Add in the wintermelon, goji berries and couple sprinkles of salt, then stir and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the water, white cooking wine, 1/2 teaspoon salt and ginger powder. Stir it around for a bit until the spices are mixed in the soup, and turn the heat down to 5. Close the lid and let it simmer for about 23 minutes.
- Add the sesame oil, stir it around for about 3 more minutes, then finally add the scallion and red pepper. Give it a quick stir and turn the heat off. Serve in the wintermelon bowl.