Low Fat Potato Gratin
- Serves: 4-6
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- We Suggest:
4 large potatoes peeled and thinly sliced (3mm)
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup flour
2 1/2 cups low fat milk
1 tsp paprika
2 bay leave
1 tsp mustard
1/2 cup scallion (spring onion)
50g cheese grated
Salt and Pepper
Directions for Low Fat Potato Gratin
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees
- In a Corningware Retroflam saucepan, heat olive oil and sauté garlic and onions for about 3 minutes until they are softened but not brown.
- Add the flour and stir until it forms a crumbly dough.
- Slowly add milk and whisk. The mixture should form a roux. Smoothen out any lumps.
- Stir in the paprika, mustard, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- In a Corningware 2L casserole, place a layer of sliced potato and top it with a layer of roux. Sprinkle some scallion on top of the roux.
- Repeat this until all the potatoes are layered.
- Top with grated cheese and bake covered for 20mins and uncovered for another 15-20mins until the cheese is brown.
Note: Try switching potatoes for cauliflower for a lower carbohydrate version suitable for diabetics.
This recipe is low in fat, rich in potassium and calcium and suitable for lacto-vegetarians.